Tuesday, October 17, 2006

originally, i felt obliged to blog about my promo results, angst a bit (as all students without perfect scores would do), and just talk about how i could have worked harder.

but then i realised, in the grandest scheme of things, my results have as much significance on the universe as about a drop of water in the ocean. okay. bad analogy. but ultimately, none of this matters after all.

i suspect that i wouldn't be saying this if i had gotten straight As, i'd probably brag a little, but then again, if you really think about it, getting straight As for promos means nothing really. sure, it would put me in a good position to apply for h3, work as a confidence booster, but at the end of the day, the only exam that really “matters” is a levels. And who says that if I were to do badly for a levels, I wouldn’t get a good job?

All this talk about doing well to get into a varsity course that one wants is not without any factual basis, but I think it would be folly to feel condemned and worked up and disappointed with oneself if one were to not make it to one’s desired course. After all, the course you major in may not even be the field you work in in the future.

But I digress.

-----

Actually, today I was thinking about the increasing pervasiveness of horror films in the media, especially in the film industry. It seems that not a day goes by now where there is not at least one ad in the papers about a horror film, be it about a chainsaw gone haywire, or some fuzzy tv screen that makes funny noises, or even some engagement ring or whatever ring of some sort that seems to be cursed, etc, etc…you get my point. It seems as if our (not referring to myself here) fascination with supernatural powers on the dark side has been so widely accepted that it’s almost part of our culture. Heck, even our own country has produced “horror films” about disgruntled maids and stuff.

But the clincher for me is why people, especially those below 30, would pay good money just to, well, spook themselves out, essentially. I mean, you want to scare yourself, there are plenty of good ways. You pay me a dollar and I’ll hide in a cubicle and make funny noises whenever someone enters the gents. Hey, why don’t you pay me, I charge a lower price. Or, I could hide in the mailbox or some random dustbin and grab people’s hands when they dump their mail/rubbish.

But let’s talk about the benefits of watching such shows, if they even do exist. If you watch action/romance films, at least you let your imagination run wild a bit, about being the next kungfu hero, or the next Casanova. You watch comedy, hey, laughter does good to the body like medicine. You watch films like TDAT, it raises awareness for the environment. But horror films? You just become demon/ghost/evil spirit/devil-conscious. And trust me when I say this does you more harm than good. Actually, it does you no good.

But seriously. I have gone on movie outings with my peers before, and some (not all) have in the past suggested that we all went to watch horror flicks. I remember about 2 years ago, I went on a class outing with some ex-classmates, and when we reached the cinema, before we even discussed on what to watch, they all simultaneously agreed to watch a horror flick. Except me. So one of them volunteered to watch an action flick with me, sacrificing watching with everyone else. Of course I couldn’t let him do this for me and to me, so I just left the cinema and told them, “maybe next time.” They never asked me again since. Lol.

i might expound more next time on why there is also a perpetual obsession of teenagers to watch nc16 or m18 films once they are of age. Or i might not. :)

No comments: